Reaction to Liverpool thrashing Watford 6-1
Liverpool went top of the Premier League for the first time under manager Jurgen Klopp with a phenomenal victory over Watford at Anfield. This is the 1st time they have been top of the Premier League for over 2 years now.
- Sadio Mane has scored 5 goals in his five Premier League appearances at Anfield for Liverpool.
- Philippe Coutinho has been involved in 8 goals in his past 7 league appearances for Liverpool (3 goals, 5 assists).
- Roberto Firmino has scored five times and assisted three goals in his past seven league games for Liverpool.
- Watford have conceded more goals against Liverpool than they had in their past 6 Premier League games combined (5).
- Liverpool had 27 attempts on goal.
- There were 5 different goalscorers in the 6-1 win against Watford – shows the strength of this Liverpool side.
- Premier League highest scorers with 30 goals from their 11 matches.
- Adam Lallana has five league assists this season, with only Kevin de Bruyne providing more (6).
Jurgen Klopp’s reaction;
Speaking to BBC Sport: “When the result gives you the impression that it is easy there is a lot of hard work behind that. The result is wonderful and the performance is terrific.”
“But Chelsea yesterday were not bad, Manchester City against Barcelona not bad, Arsenal great movement and Tottenham – oh my god. We need to be good.”“Good results and performances help confidence. We will send the players all around the world and hopefully they come back healthy for the big challenge of Southampton.”
“There’s no pressure after 11 matchdays – absolutely no pressure. We saw Chelsea playing yesterday, quite impressive. We saw City playing Barcelona, quite impressive. Man United, never write them off,”
“There is nothing to celebrate in the moment – this is our responsibility to play well when you put on the red of Liverpool. It is all good until now.”
Watford manager Walter Mazzarri:
“You can lose at the home of Liverpool but we should not have lost like that.”
“It has been a lesson for the future. This game has taught me many things, like the 2-0 defeat by Burnley.
“From the teams we’ve played there’s no doubt they are the team I’m most impressed with. If they continue like this they are number one on my list for winning the Premier League.”
“We will get better for next time and we will see a different performance after the international break.”
On the injury suffered by keeper Heurelho Gomes, who was replaced by Pantilimon: “It is his knee, but I am not sure yet [how serious]. I am not sure if it’s a twist or just a knock.”
I sincerely hope that Gomes recovers soon – it’s always horrific to watch players get injured like that.
What do you think? Feel free to leave a comment.
I really hope that you enjoyed this article.
If you would like to receive newsletter updates with all my latest articles, please leave you details on my online form.