Liverpool host Sunderland at Anfield
Saturday afternoon Liverpool host Sunderland at Anfield – hoping to pick up 3 points and get back to winning ways.
Liverpool have no new injury concerns as Adam Lallana is likely to be on the sidelines with a groin injury. This may mean Jürgen Klopp my select the same team in the Premier League for the first time since his second game in charge 13 months ago. That is 40 Premier League games!
- Liverpool have gone 10 league matches without defeat, winning seven and drawing three.
- Jurgen Klopp’s side have earned an unrivalled 52 points from 25 Premier League games since drawing with Sunderland at Anfield on 6 February.
That game was the first in a current 13-match unbeaten league run at home (W8, D5).
- Liverpool have earned nine points more this season compared to the corresponding fixtures in 2015-16.
- Liverpool are the Premier League’s leading scorers with 30 goals.
- Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet made 90 Premier League appearances for Sunderland between 2010-13, while Jordan Henderson scored three goals in 71 top-flight games for the club between 2008-11.
- A win will take Liverpool top till at least the Chelsea result in the evening.
Chelsea’s victory and Liverpool’s draw against Southampton meant they were knocked off the top of the Premier League table.
Captain Jordan Henderson has rather diplomatically admitted that it’s understandable that some sides would see ‘parking the bus’ as the best means to earn at least a point against an attack-happy Liverpool team. Stating that the onus was on him and his team-mates to overcome such a tactic.
“I think because of the way we started the season, teams will come and try to defend and break up the play,” the Liverpool captain told the club’s official magazine.
“They’ll want to disrupt our rhythm as much as possible.
“But that’s part and parcel of football. Teams might see that as the best way to get a point, or three, against us.
“We have to be prepared to face that scenario and when we do come up against it, find the solution to get a win.
Will Klopp select an unchanged side? Meaning a front 3 of Coutinho, Firmino and Mane. Midfield 3 of Wijnaldum, Henderson and Can.
Or, Klopp could opt for Sturridge instead. That would mean Firmino play out wide and Coutinho would play they role that Lallana has enjoyed all season. Thus, dropping Can to the bench.
I’d go full throttle and really take the game to Sunderland and play Sturridge. Last week Liverpool played very well, but at times it seemed they wanted to walk the ball into the net. They needed a predator in the mix – Sturridge is that. He offers something that Firmino can’t. Firmino is great at the link up play and bringing others into the game.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sturridge on the bench and given an opportunity midway through the 2nd half.
What do you think? Feel free to leave a comment.
I really hope that you enjoyed this article.
If you would like to receive newsletter updates with all my latest articles, please leave you details on my online form.