Klopp: “Benteke to continue his good form for Crystal Palace”
Jurgen Klopp has backed Christian Benteke to continue his good form for Crystal Palace.
- Benteke was sold on by Liverpool a year after he was initially signed from Aston Villa.
- Belgian failing to nail down a regular place in Liverpool’s first team.
- Struggled to lead the front-line defensively at Liverpool compared to Firmino.
- Signed for Palace in a club-record £32.5m.
- Moved from strength to strength since the transfer.
- Scored 3 goals for Palace already.
- 1st time Benteke has faced Liverpool since the transfer.
According to the Guardian, Klopp knows all about Benteke’s quality.
He said: “When you have a player like Christian in your squad, of course we knew about his quality.
“But every player needs the space to perform, to develop and to show things. For different reasons we couldn’t give him all the time (he needed), you lose a little bit of confidence, you feel pressure.
“We couldn’t change it and I thought, and I’m pretty sure Christian thinks the same, it made sense. He made the transfer so, for Crystal Palace, what a player. We know it best because we had him all the time in training and in all moments he showed always his quality.
“It’s never really nice because there’s a lot of expectation from both sides when you make a transfer like this. But in my job I can’t always be nice. I have to make a decision for the club and for the team.
“Christian is a great player and a wonderful person. I have nothing bad to say about him. Unfortunately now he plays for Crystal Palace and now we have to face them. It will be really difficult.
“He has given them a real boost of quality. Will he feel like he has a point to prove? I have no idea. You would have to ask him. It’s not the first time in my life that I’ve played against a player who was in my team the previous season.”