Barcelona suffer first Coutinho setback 

Last night Liverpool and Barcelona announced that an agreement had been struck on a £142m deal, making Coutinho the third most expensive transfer.

And the Brazilian, who arrived in Barcelona yesterday ahead of his presentation, will put pen to paper on a five-and-half year deal with a buyout clause of £355m (400m euros).

Coutinho missed Liverpool’s last two matches with a thigh problem but Jurgen Klopp said he was hopeful the playmaker would be back for their game against Manchester City next weekend.

Barcelona face Celta Vigo in the Copa del Rey on Thursday then Real Sociedad on Sunday in La Liga. But according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, Coutinho is an injury doubt for both games.

The report says Coutinho will be assessed by Barcelona’s medical team on Monday and a decision will be made.

Coutinho’s move comes after Barcelona were unable to prise him away from Anfield last summer. In a statement yesterday Klopp revealed they were unable to persuade Coutinho to stay on this occasion.

“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known,” said Klopp.

“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his team-mates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.